Sunday, October 15, 2006

King of the Iditarod

Tara & Jeff King

Our family had planned on going camping this past weekend until my husband called me from work one day and said, "We can't go camping in two weeks. Jeff King is going to be at the new Cabelas store in Richfield!" Since we live in Wisconsin and don't plan on making it to Alaska any time soon, this was an incredible opportunity to meet a premier musher. I've been honored to meet many mushers in the U.P., and have been thrilled to meet Libby Riddles, Dick Mackey, and Doug Swingley. But meeting Jeff King was really special. As a four-time champ, and the reigning Iditarod champ, this was awesome! We drove an hour and a half to the new Cabelas store, north of Milwaukee (heck, even that was exciting!). Jeff was right in the front of the store signing autographs, chatting with his fans, and posing for pictures. He signed my Iditarod Monopoly game (nobody better beat me at my game now!), and signed a poster for my husband and me. Apparently running for office, he also asked if he could sign a poster for my little sister. Our DAUGHTER, Emmaline, loved it! After shaking his hand, I promised I would make it to Alaska someday to see him in his element. Of course, I'm sure I'm going to win the Cabelas drawing for the trip to the 2007 Iditarod, so I'll see him then! Incidentally, it was a cold, windy weekend, so camping wouldn't have been too much fun anyway!

No comments: